Monday, August 8, 2016

Cats Aren't as Aloof as People Think

 
People often say that cats are aloof, independent, and not at all affectionate, but they don't know any of the cats that we've had through the years.  Every single one of them has turned into a loving, sweet cat who just wanted to be near us almost constantly.
 
Part of the reason is that I'm home a lot, so every cat has been used to constant attention, and they've loved it, too.  They want to be on me or near me almost all the time, day and night, when I'm sleeping or awake.  They even sit on the floor near me just to watch me wash dishes sometimes, just to be near their momma.
 
Some people think that cats don't even care if you are around or not, but none of our cats has ever liked it when we go out.  Our current cat, Zorro, gets really freaked out by it.  Yesterday he could tell when we were getting ready to go out, so he started meowing a lot.  We were only out for about 3 hours, but when we came home, he just yelled and yelled at us, even after being fed.  He can't help it, he just gets upset.
 
Actually, our cat Chrissy would barely come near us for several days after we came back from our honeymoon, which was only 5 days.  She wasn't alone while we were gone either.  She was at my  mother's house, where she had lived with me for years.  She was just upset because we hadn't been there (since she already loved my husband so much before we got married).  Of course, you can't explain to a cat that you'll be gone for just a few days.  They don't understand English (unless you say words they recognize, like "tuna" or "treat").
 
 
I love this photo, because it looks like Zorro is standing up, but he's lying down.
 
Anyway, the point is, people who don't love cats really just have no idea how great they can be.  They are constant bundles of love and snuggling, someone to talk to when you are up and can't sleep, someone to be near you when you are on the computer (warming your low back), someone to sit by your side while you draw or paint, someone to help you sleep (despite what sleep experts say). 
 
Cats are great.  That's all I can say.  Now kittens, on the other hand, they are just bananas.  I could tell you about those crazy days, but that's a story for another time.